Cause Determined in Wyoming Wildfire

Unattended warming fire destroyed over 50 homes



PINEDALE, Wyo. (AP) — Firefighters in western Wyoming say a wildfire that has destroyed 55 homes and forced the evacuation of about 500 rural residents was caused by an abandoned warming fire that had been left unattended.

The fire has burned about 90 square miles (233.1 sq. kilometers) since it was first reported Sept. 15. Firefighters reported Saturday that it was about 40 percent contained and remains south of a highway that leads to the Jackson Hole region.

About 1,160 personnel have been fighting the fire, with a special focus on the southwest side of the fire in hopes of protecting homes.

Firefighters also have been shoring up fire lines to keep the flames from crossing U.S. 189/191.

Warm, dry and windy weather conditions ideal for fire growth were expected to persist through Sunday.

All contents © copyright 2018 Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Check Also

KNP Complex Fire

Four Injured by Falling Tree at KNP Complex Fire in CA

THREE RIVERS, Calif. (AP) — Four people injured when a tree fell ...